Criminal Background Checks (CBC)
The Protection of People with Special Needs Act centralizes the criminal history background check process for facilities or service providers overseen by the Office of Mental Health (OMH), the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities and providers of residential programs for children overseen by the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) within the Justice Center. Effective June 30, 2013, the Justice Center Criminal Background Check (CBC) Unit will review the criminal history for prospective employees or volunteers and make an initial determination regarding suitability for employment.
CBC Notes for Providers
A heartfelt thank you is extended by the Justice Center's Criminal Background Check (CBC) Unit staff to the many Providers who exhibited patience and understanding when faced with some difficulties involved in transitioning to a new system. There have been many changes in the world of pre-employment checks since last June and a few more are in store for OPWDD and OMH Providers.
The following is offered in response to questions and concerns that have been raised and will address:
- OPWDD Providers Access to CBC System
- Justice Center Regulation Requires Providers to Implement CBC Policy and Procedure
- Change in Fingerprint Submission for OMH and OPWDD Provider
- Information on CBC Determinations
- Guidance on Employment Application Question Regarding Criminal History