The New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice Center) protects more than one million New Yorkers under the care or jurisdiction of six state agencies. The following list outlines several of the Justice Center’s key responsibilities:
- Advocate on behalf of individuals receiving services and provide oversight of quality of care
- Operate a centralized, statewide 24-hour hotline
- Maintain a list of individuals found responsible for egregious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect
- Perform criminal history background checks for state agencies
- Investigate serious allegations of abuse and neglect.
- Prosecute criminal acts of abuse and neglect
- Analyze abuse patterns and trends in order to prevent future occurrences